Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cats - S/T (Elektra 1980)

No, no, no not the Broadway show Cats, this was released on Elektra Records in 1980. I know this isn’t going to appeal to a lot of people who visit my blog looking for some great lost mid sixties records, but just maybe there are a few of you who can appreciate this. I can honestly say I know next to nothing about this record, except for the fact that I enjoy it very much and it seems to have sunk without a trace. I bought this promotional copy at a second hand store in the early eighties. Since then I have never seen it again, and have always wondered where were they from, did this get a proper release beyond a promotional album, did they record again, did any members go on to other projects?
So here’s what I do know, the band consisted of Danny Weston on guitar, Dennis Tilli on bass, Fred Zarra on keys and synthesizers, Michael Corr on lead vocals, Peter Keltz on lead guitar and Tommy Stewart on drums. The record was produced, arranged, engineered and mixed by Michael Young. It was recorded at Bearsville Sound Studio, which I believe is in New York.
The music is definitely a product of the eighties with lots of synthesizers, sounding a bit like a mix of Boomtown Rats meets the Cars with a sprinkle of New England (the band not location) on top, yet the band has a distinct sound all there own. It’s hard to imagine they couldn’t get at least snag a top 100 song off this record as it is quite radio friendly.
So if you’ve read this far, give this a listen and let me know what you think. Maybe somebody out there knows the lowdown on these Cats.

Tracks
 1. On The Prowl
 2. One Last Look
 3. It Doesn’t Matter Anymore
 4. You Gotta Smile Again
 5. Go Bother Someone Else
 6. Goodbye Again Forever
 7. Minus 10
 8. Just Broken Up Love Affair
 9. (He’s Got) The Rest Of His Life
10. The Woman In White